As the temperature drops there’s comfort to be found in bringing out the cast iron casserole and filling it full of delights from the winter larder.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 500g (1lb 2oz) Cartmel Valley Game diced game packs
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 1 parsnip, sliced
- 1 fennel bulb, sliced, leaves reserved
- 2 tbsp Watermill plain flour
- 200ml (7fl oz) Perry’s dry cider
- 200ml (7fl oz) chicken stock
- 250g (9 oz) chestnut mushrooms
- ½ tsp fennel seeds
- Salt and black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 160c (325f/gas 3). Heat the oil in a flameproof casserole and fry the diced meats, stirring occasionally, for 3-4 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Remove and keep hot.
- Add the onion, carrot, parsnip and sliced fennel to the casserole and fry, stirring occasionally, for 4-5 minutes, or until lightly coloured. Sprinkle in the flour and gradually stir in the cider and stock. Add the mushrooms and fennel seeds, then return the meat to the casserole.
- Season well and bring to the boil. Cover tightly with a lid and place in the oven for 1 hour 20 minutes, or until the meat and vegetables are tender.
- Sprinkle the casserole with the reserved fennel leaves and serve hot.
Recipe taken from ‘One-Pot’ simple recipes for hearty, slow-cooked meals available in the shippon for £5.99