- 300g gooseberries
- 300g fair-trade golden caster sugar
- 20g fresh grated ginger
- 50g sultanas
- 1tsp ground ginger
- 200 ml water
- Juice of 1 lemon
1. Place sultanas in a bowl with the water and soak for 30 minutes until plump and swollen.
2. Pre-heat oven to 160˚C.
3. In a shallow roasting tin, coat the washed gooseberries with the caster sugar and fresh grated ginger. Roast for 15 minutes, stir halfway through cooking time and allow to cool once cooked.
4. After draining the sultanas, add them with the cooled gooseberries, lemon juice and ground ginger to a blender for 1 minute. Pour the contents into a sieve with a bowl underneath and pass mixture to remove any pulp. Pour the contents of the bowl into a clean sterilized bottle. Cover and allow cordial to mature in the fridge for 1 week.
5. Enjoy diluted cordial with chilled sparkling mineral water. Serve with a sprig of mint or a slice of lime.