Low Sizergh Barn, Sizergh, Kendal, LA8 8AE
Our own recipe, this tasty stuffing also features in our tea room Christmas lunches.
250g sausage meat
50g cranberries (dried)
75g chetnuts (tinned or vacuum packed)
100g fresh breadcrumbs
1 garlic clove
1 tspn mixed herbs
Pinch salt and pepper
1. Finely dice the onion and crush the garlic. Sweat gently in a pan then add the mixed herbs. Leave to cool.
2. Place all other ingredients in a mixing bowl add the cooled onion mix and combine. Beat for about 1 minute.
3. Press into a lined baking tray and bake for about 25- 30mins on a medium heat.
As the temperature drops there's comfort to be found in bringing out the cast iron casserole and filling it full of delights from the winter larder.
2 tbsp olive oil
500g (1lb 2oz) Cartmel Valley Game diced game packs
1 onion, sliced
1 carrot, sliced
1 parsnip, sliced
1 fennel bulb, sliced, leaves reserved
2 tbsp Watermill plain flour
200ml (7fl oz) Perry’s dry cider
200ml (7fl oz) chicken stock
250g (9 oz) chestnut mushrooms
½ tsp fennel seeds
Salt and black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 160c (325f/gas 3). Heat the oil in a flameproof casserole and fry the diced meats, stirring occasionally, for 3-4 minutes, or until lightly browned.
2. Remove and keep hot.
3. Add the onion, carrot, parsnip and sliced fennel to the casserole and fry, stirring occasionally, for 4-5 minutes, or until lightly coloured. Sprinkle in the flour and gradually stir in the cider and stock. Add the mushrooms and fennel seeds, then return the meat to the casserole.
4. Season well and bring to the boil. Cover tightly with a lid and place in the oven for 1 hour 20 minutes, or until the meat and vegetables are tender.
5. Sprinkle the casserole with the reserved fennel leaves and serve hot.
Recipe taken from ‘One-Pot’ simple recipes for hearty, slow-cooked meals available in the shippon for £5.99