Combining two great seasonal ingredients, this recipe is quick and easy to prepare but benefits from slow cooking. From the website of the Kentish Cobnuts Association
- 1 large marrow
- 2 medium onions, sliced thinly
- 2 cloves garlic (optional)
- 300g plums or damsons
- 400g cobnuts (weighed in husk)
- 150g mushrooms, sliced thickly
- 4 tomatoes, sliced
- 100g butter
- 2 heaped tsps grated fresh root ginger
- 1 tsp mixed herbs
1. Wash the marrow, split in half lengthways, and remove the seedy central pith. Place in an oven-proof dish.
2.Stone and halve the plums, and shell the cobnuts and chop them coarsely.
3.Fry the onions in half the butter.
4.Mix all the filling ingredients together and season to taste.
5.Pack into the marrow and dot with the rest of the butter.
6.Cover and cook in a moderate oven (170°C, gas mark 3) for 1½ to 2 hours, depending on the size of the marrow.