We have multi-talented members of staff here at Low Sizergh Barn and Hannah Storton is no exception. Look out for her working in the milking parlour and in the farm shop, which proudly stocks eggs from her flock/flush/paddling/raft of ducks (please choose your favourite collective noun).
Hannah’s duck eggs have inspired our recipe for this month, which is a variation on one featured in Peter Sidwell’s Simply Good Taste (available in the farm shop Shippon, £14.99).
8 rashers of pancetta or streaky bacon
2 tsp honey or icing sugar
2 tbsp vinegar
8 duck eggs
4 Ciabattas, toasted
Freshly ground pepper
1. Grill the pancetta until it is crisp, then brush with a little honey or dust with icing sugar. Place in the top oven to keep warm.
2. To poach the eggs, bring the saucepan of salted water to the boil and add the vinegar. Reduce the heat until the water is just bubbling and stir with a spoon to create a whirlpool motion.
3. Crack the eggs into a small bowl so you can slide them into the water rather than dropping them in.
4. Cook for four minutes then remove the poached eggs with a slotted spoon.
5. To serve, butter the toasted ciabattas and top with the pancetta and poached eggs. Mill a little black pepper on top and serve.