Serves 4. Taken from ‘The Greengrocer’ by Leanne Kitchen. Available in the Shippon at £18.99.
- 1L vegetable or chicken stock (available in the farm shop chillers)
- 250ml dry white wine
- 50g unsalted butter, chopped
- 3tbsp olive oil1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 300g risotto rice
- 24 asparagus spears, trimmed and cut into 2cm lengths
- 100g sorrel, washed, trimmed and finely chopped*
- 60g grated parmesan
*Sorrel is a herb with long, tender green leavesand a tart, lemony flavour. Discard the bitter stems before cooking with it. Sorrel has a strong flavour, so it is best used judiciously.
1. Pour the stock and the wine into a large saucepan and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat, then cover and keep at simmering point.
2. Melt half the butter in a large heavy based saucepan.Add the olive oil, onion and garlic and saute over medium heat for 5 minutes, or until the onion has softened.
3. Add the rice and stir to caot, then add 125ml of the simmering stock and cook, stirring constantly, over low heat until all the stock has been absorbed.
4. Continue adding the stock, 125ml at a time, stirring constantly and making sure the stock has been absorbed before adding more.
5. When nearly all the stock has been added, stir in the asparagus and sorrel. Continue adding the stock until the rice is tender and creamy and the asparagus is just cooked.
6. Stir in the remaining butter and the parmesan.
7. Season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper and serve.