- 6 large hard pears
- 1 pint of red wine
- 4oz sugar
- 2 whole cinnamon sticks
- 1 vanilla pod
- 1 rounded dessert spoon arrowroot
- 15floz whipped cream
1. Pre-heat the oven to gas mark 1/2, 250˚F (130˚C).
2. Peel the pears but leave the stalks on them, then lay them in a large casserole. Then in a saucepan bring the red wine, sugar and cinnamon to the boil, add the vanilla pod to the mixture and pour the whole lot over the pears. Cover the casserole and bake very slowly for about 3 hours, turning the pears over halfway.
3. After the 3 hours transfer the pears to a serving bowl to cool, and pour the liquid back into the saucepan (you can discard the vanilla pod and cinnamon sticks now).
4. In a cup mix the arrowroot with a little cold water till you have a smooth paste, then add this to the saucepan with the liquid. Bring to the boil, stirring till the mixture has thickened slightly to a syrup. Then pour it over the pears, allow to cool a little and baste each pear with a good coating of the syrup.
5. Place in the fridge to chill thoroughly, and serve with whipped cream or perhaps a mixture of half whipped cream and half greek yoghurt.